If you actually want a tour, don't book this one! The Great Wall is amazing, and seeing it is a wonderful experience. But this is not a tour. This is more of transportation to the Ming Tombs and the Great Wall with lunch, and unnecessary tourist trap stops. Our tour guide Summer wasn't knowledgeable about any of these historic destinations. She was difficult to understand, did not explain anything of significance about the Ming Tombs, and did not accompany the group to the Great Wall. The itinerary changed last minute, and included stops to a very expensive jade shop and a tea house, which was not listed in the description of the tour. We did not actually visit the Badaling area of the Great Wall, but the Mutianyu section instead. Then Summer had the audacity to try and rush everyone once we arrived at the Great Wall! She was not very professional or courteous, and she seemed more interested in shuffling us to the tourist trap stops then providing us with an actual tour of the two places we paid to see. We were traveling with children, and had to stop at the bathroom before boarding the van to return. The driver actually yelled at us in Chinese, and Summer was noticeably rude because we got back to the van a little late. Fortunately the experience of seeing these wonderful places for first time was awesome, and the other couples on the tour were quite pleasant. So we were able to move on past the foolishness of this sham of a tour. However I do not recommend this for anyone who truly wants to learn about the Great Wall and Ming Tombs while visiting them.
It was pretty good overall. They were on time to pick us up at the time that was mentioned. The schedule was followed accordingly and the information provided by our tour guide was interesting and insightful.
The only bad thing was that we spent way too much time at the Jade factory, which is pretty much a store that has jade products. I would've much rather spent that time at the Great Wall.
1. Our guide, Kylie, cannot speak English well. She can't understand simple questions like, 'What time can we have lunch?' or 'When can we go to the Great Wall?' She can only speak what she's programmed to speak and most of them are barely English words.
2. It seems like it's Kylie's first time as a guide but it actually it isn't. She isn't a good guide and has no common sense in guiding or giving information. She starts explaining when she reaches her check point without waiting for the group to gather. She doesn't think ahead that she needs to set a meeting point in case someone in the group loses her so we can meet up later.
3. We're taken to destinations that are not listed in the tour description. We're forced to go to a jade factory and tea house. Not that they aren't interesting but I'd prefer that I spend more time on the Great Wall.
4. It is stated vaguely in the description about the cable car to the Great Wall. It just says the price isn't included. I thought the cable car is optional. Turn out that we're forced to go up the wall with cable car and we have to pay extra 140 RMB without further notice...
5. We only have 40 minutes on the Great Wall.
6. It says in the description that the vehicle is an air-conditioned bus/coach. What we had was an old shaggy van that looks like something can goes wrong anytime.
7. The only good merit is that they offer taxi fee if you have to travel from a far hotel to meet them in the downtown.
The visit was extremely good but the timing was wrong. Do not go in Summer as half of the chinese nation visit this Badaling site. If you decided to go in summer I recommend to visit the lower North Wall before the Badaling, it is lower end of course but it is still part of the wall and not a lot of tourist and people. I should go to this place. But our guide is really nice and spoke english very well.
A group of our fellow travellers were late, and we had to go and get them, which delayed us by an hour. We were then rushed round the Ming temple as someone wanted the toilet so we all had to leave.
Spent too much time at the Jade shop, but the lunch there was great, we would have gladly reduced this for more time at other destinations.
The Great Wall was stunning as expected, then on our return to Beijing we were supposed to visit the Birds nest stadium area, but as we drove passed it was just pointed out to us, but we managed to again spend plenty of time in a tea shop! The tea shop was actually interesting, but they were quite pushy for a sale.
If the biggest part of our tour party had not been late then I think the day may have panned out a lot differently. Everything we saw was very interesting, but we just wished we had more time at the sites rather than the shops.
This tour was really unimpressive. While we did make it to these locations, it was rushed and basic. The trip to the Ming Tombs had us see exactly 0 tombs and only the entrance museum. We spent only about 1.5 hours at the wall and most of the time was spent getting to the jade factory, the tea shop, or picking up other passengers. I would not recommend this tour.
The trip was fantastic the sites were amazing and lunch was good. Value for money was good. Met some fabulous people. The guide let you down and would have got 5 star. She was a little difficult to understand and I was not impressed with her attitude. She kept asking for tips the whole trip. She was abrupt and we had to ask 3 times to take us back to the hotel. She was trying to force us to take the subway and said that the traffic was bad and would take over 2 hours but it took less than an hour after persisting. My parents were tired and a bit older 65 and 68 and the tour said you would take us back to the hotel I did not expect to have to keep asking. I did not feel she deserved a tip so did not leave one and she gave me a horrible look and slammed the door behind us. She was not good. Other than that the trip itself was good. I would like a response back as she ruined the experience with her attitude.
There was a discrepancy of ONE hour in hotel pick up time between the published web site 8:30 a.m. and the coupon 7:30 a.m. and we actually missed the tour. No one contacted or informed us. I had to call and reschedule it for the next day and fortunately we were free. There was also no mention about the Jade museum or the tea house in the web site and we were ushered to those places to shop! The tour guide was ok in the beginning but after the Jade factory where no one bought any product, her whole attitude changed no commission for her! She became not as friendly and impatient, especially to those who chose not to take the cable car up to the Great Wall. The tea house was again a waste of time. Without those, the tour could've been at least 2 hours shorter!