Head to Delft’s preserved Old Town, whose sights include the old town hall, the Old Church (Oude Kerk) and Agneta Park. Ponder the life and career of Dutch Golden Age painter Johannes Vermeer, who was born and raised in Delft, as you stroll along the canal-lined streets.
You’ll then delve into Delft’s royal history by visiting several sites connected to the Dutch royal family. Your guide will tell stories and explain the significance behind each place you visit to ensure you don't miss a thing.
One of the most notable figures you'll learn about is William of Orange (nicknamed William the Silent), the leader of the Dutch Revolt and the independent Dutch Republic. Born in the House of Nassau, he became Prince of Orange in 1544 and is thus the founder of the House of Orange-Nassau and the ancestor of the monarchy of the Netherlands.
Hear about his triumphs as one of the country's most renowned leaders. At the Prince's Court, discover how the hero's life tragically ended in murder. Then head to the New Church (Nieuwe Kerk) to see his tomb and the graves of other members of the royal family.
Beyond its royal history, Delft is also well known for its Delftware. This distinctive blue-and-white pottery, originally duplicated from Chinese porcelain by 17th-century Dutch artisans, is sought after around the world. Your guide will show you how the porcelain is painted, and will give you time to shop for some souvenirs. If you wish, you can also visit the Royal Delft, the last remaining Delftware factory from the 17th century where you can find entirely hand-painted pottery using centuries-old techniques. This is optional, but it's worth the trip!
Your tour ends back at Delft Market Square.
Private Delft walking tour departing at 9am
Private Delft walking tour departing at 2pm
Private Tour: Delft Walking Tour
- Private guide with commentary in preferred language
- New Church
- Admission to Royal Delft (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Tour operates in all weather conditions
- Good walking shoes recommended
- Tour can be operated in English, French, German, Spanish or Portuguese; please advise your preferred tour language at time of booking