After a safety briefing about the jet boat, buckle up your life jacket and start your 2-hour journey along the Dart River with your captain, who knows how to expertly navigate the shallow glacial waters of the Southern Alps. Hear about the geology and local myths of the region as you zoom 22 miles (35 km) upriver, stopping frequently for a closer look at landmarks.
At the end of the ride, your captain drops you off at a secret spot on the banks of the Dart River. From there, follow your guide on an easy walk through native beech forest while listening to fascinating details about the resident animal and plant life. You may even visit a cave thought to have been once used by the local Maori people.
Stop for a picnic lunch at a scenic spot on the shores of Lake Sylvan, located within Mt Aspiring National Park. Soak up views of the forest and mountains that surround the pretty lake, and keep an eye out for birds such as bush robins, fantails and tomtits. Lake Sylvan is also home to brown trout and paradise shelducks, a prized game bird with striking plumage.
After lunch, reach the end of your walk by following a trail that connects to the famous Routeburn track. Hop in the minivan for the 1-hour drive back to Queenstown, stopping at a cafe in Glenorchy for a break (any food/drinks at your own expense). Your day tour ends with hotel drop-off in the early evening.
In total, you'll walk for about two to three hours along mostly flat, leaf-covered terrain; expect an easy to moderate walk that covers up to 4 miles (7 km).
Please note: A minimum of two people per booking is required.
Lake Sylvan, Queenstown
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned van
- Jet boat ride
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Use of walking poles
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please bring sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen and a warm outer layer in the summer; in winter, bring/wear thermals, hat, gloves and waterproof outer jacket
- Comfortable and supportive sporting footwear is recommended
- Guides available in German