Christchurch Sightseeing Tour by Classic Double-Decker Bus (3 hours):
Choose from a morning or afternoon departure and head to central Christchurch to board your open-top double-decker bus for a 1-hour tour of the city center. Informative onboard commentary details the city's history, from the days of the early pioneers to the aftermath and recovery from the devastating earthquake of 2011. (Note: The open-top bus operates from November to April. From May to October, the full 3-hour tour will operate on a closed-top double-decker bus.)
After your 1-hour tour, transfer to a vintage closed-top double-decker bus for a 2-hour tour of greater Christchurch. Travel to the seaside at Sumner, and have time to stop on the beach. Take photos of spectacular scenery that extends from the coast to the Southern Alps. Then drive into the Port Hills for views overlooking the city, Canterbury Plains, and the Southern Alps. Visit Mona Vale Gardens for a short stroll around these wonderful botanic gardens. You are returned to the starting point to end your tour after three hours.
Lord of the Rings Journey to Edoras from Christchurch (9 hours):
Within seven days of your first tour, take your full-day tour to Mt Sunday to visit filming sites from The Lord of the Rings. Your comfortable air-conditioned vehicle picks you up at your hotel in the morning for the 2.5-hour journey to stunning Mt Sunday.
Middle-earth fans know this location as the setting for Edoras. Even if you are not a LOTR fan, the amazing day out provides spectacular scenery. When you arrive, enjoy 4WD access on Mt Sunday. A short hike takes you to the summit where you can snap photos and soak up panoramic views.
Energize yourself with a delicious picnic lunch that includes sparkling wine. You are returned to Christchurch at the end of your 9-hour excursion.
Day 2: Christchurch hotels
Day 2: 9am
Day 2: Returns at approximately 6pm to your centrally located Christchurch Hotel
Lord of the Rings - Journey to Edoras
- Walking tour
- Delicious champagne picnic lunch
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Transport by Double-Decker Bus (Day 1)
- Transport by air-conditioned 4WD vehicle (Day 2)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (Lord of the Rings Tour only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (Double Decker Bus Tour)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for child aged 4 and under (for Lord of the Rings Tour)
- Please wear comfortable shoes and bring along a warm jacket
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Please Note: The Lord of the Rings tour does not need to be taken on the second day, but within 7-days of the Christchurch double decker bus tour.