One of Europe’s great rivers, the Danube wends from Germany to the Black Sea, passing through four capital cities: Budapest in Hungary, Bratislava in Slovakia, Belgrade in Serbia, and Vienna in Austria. Here’s what you need to know about Danube cruises from Vienna, which provide easy access to some of the river’s most scenic stretches.
- Float along the Danube, a river immortalized by Austrian composer Johann Strauss in his famous waltz, “On the Beautiful Blue Danube.”
- Identify key landmarks along the Viennese waterfront, such as the Danube Tower (Donauturm), Millennium Tower, Ring Tower (Ringturm), and Urania Observatory, during a Danube Canal or Danube River cruise.
- Listen to live commentary that sheds light on the history and evolution of Vienna.
- Sail by architectural landmarks, such as the Zaha Hadid-designed house and the colorful Friedensreich Hundertwasser-designed Spittelau waste incineration plant.
- Enjoy traditional Austrian food, including Viennese coffeehouse pastries, and music on board during dinner cruises.
- Combine a cruise along the Danube with dinner in a Viennese restaurant and classical music concert in Schönbrunn Palace, featuring live music from the likes of Strauss and Mozart for the ultimate Vienna experience.
- Float away from Austria all the way to Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, where you can view Bratislava Castle, St. Martin's Cathedral, and more.
- Opt for an evening boat tour to see the sparkling Vienna skyline illuminated after dark.