Located 20 miles (33 kilometers) northwest of Paris, Villa Savoye a Poissy (Villa Savoye for short) was built by Swiss-born architect Charles-Édouard Jeanneret between 1928 and 1931. The architect, more popularly known as Le Corbusier, was a founding member of the International Congress on Modern Architecture and a major player in Paris’s avant-garde architectural movement.
Villa Savoye, built as a country retreat for the Savoye family, was the last project in Le Corbusier’s “white villa” period and one of the best examples of the International Style that became popular in the 1920s and 1930s, characterized by rectilinear forms, flat surfaces without ornamentation or decoration, open interiors and the use of cantilever construction to give buildings a visual weightlessness.
Villa Savoye was eventually abandoned by its occupants and restored by the French government between 1964, when it was declared a historic monument while Le Corbusier was still living, and 1997.
Guided tours in English are available on Wednesdays and Fridays at 11am and 2:30pm.