The highlight of Mendoza’s Iglesia de San Francisco complex is the Renaissance-style pink stucco basilica dating from 1875.
The Franciscan church replaced the original Jesuit structure that was destroyed by the devastating earthquake of 1861. Venerated throughout Mendoza, the church is the hallowed home of the miraculous Virgen del Carmen de Cuyo, patron saint of the liberating Andean Army.
The basilica also houses the tomb of the daughter of General San Martin, and is celebrated for its elaborate altar, Virgin’s chapel and priceless religious artifacts.
The church is a National Historic Landmark and one of Mendoza’s most important features.